Tuesday, August 03, 2004

An example of poor customer service.

Everybody has days where they hate their jobs. I know I do. But I always try to not to take it out on the customer. It’s not their fault that you are unhappy. And chances are, a lot of them don’t like what they're doing either.

Today I went to the store to pick up the pictures I had developed. After standing at the counter for about 5 minutes watching the customer service boy scan in newly received pictures, another employee called his name. “Hey Dan, you have a customer here.” He turned around and stared for the few moments, then came over. The other employee said, “You just have to yell for him sometimes.” Ok right, because why should the person at the customer service counter have to actually pay attention to the customers? I handed the young man my ticket and told him my last name. He took the ticket, tossed some pictures up on the counter, rang up my tampons with the pictures and I was on my way.

Have a nice day too, buddy.

That should have been the end of it, and I never would have thought twice about his rudeness, or that maybe if he tried smiling once in a while, he might not be so angry. However, when I went to open the envelope to look at my pictures, I realized he had given me my mother’s pictures. (Note to self – move farther away from mom). So I went back in the store and set the pictures back up on the counter. He stared at me blankly, as if he didn’t quite know why someone would come in and give him pictures. I told him that he had given me my mother’s pictures, same last name, wrong first name. He asked for my ticket. I reminded him that he had taken it the first time I was there. So he went over to the drawer of pictures and couldn’t find them. He said they must not be in yet, and I should try back tomorrow. I asked him to look through the stack of pictures he was checking in, and he looked at about 3 of them and said they weren’t there. I asked him if I could return my mother’s pictures and he said, “Ummmmmmmmm, well, can’t you just keep them?” OK. I guess so. He said, “Well if it’s your mom, you can just give them to her”. Guess so. So I asked if I could have my ticket back. He asked “Did you give it to me?” Yes, when I picked up the WRONG pictures. “Did I throw it away?” I don’t know what he did with it. He reassured me that I didn’t need it and I should come back tomorrow.

So I left and called my mother to make sure she didn’t have my pictures. She didn’t. I told her I have hers. She has a tendency to get me fired up and told me that I should march back into the store and demand a refund and give the pictures back. Well, I didn’t do that because I was on lunch and due to be back to work in about 5 minutes. I did call the manager to let her know what happened, to find out exactly how long it should take to get the pictures and to make sure I didn’t need that little ticket. She put me on hold for a while and came back and said “Dan said you refused a refund, that’s why you still have your mother’s pictures, and he also said that you never gave him your ticket. Just try back tomorrow after 2:00 and see if they are here.”

So Dan is a little liar, and that pissed me off.

I got back to work, and my cell phone rang. “Ummmmm, this is Dan. Did I just sell you the wrong pictures?”

“Yes”

“Well, ummm, they’re here. You can come pick them up.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home