Thursday, July 22, 2004

Political Incorrectness

I just got in trouble at work for making an off color joke.  Someone emailed the office asking if anyone had seen the box cutter that was supposed to be in the supply room.  My reply to all (big mistake) mentioned something about an Arabic man.  Sorry.  It just happened before I could think. As soon as I sent it I recieved this statement from my supervisor:

"Um…yeah….you can't really say that in email. Can't really make ethnic, religious or sexual cracks in email."

Right I forgot. My bad. It's true though. I shouldn't have done it and you can bet I won't do it again. I wouldn't be so upset about it if I thought that would be the end of it. But I'm willing to bet that I will be in meetings all day tomorrow, getting scolded for my inappropriate email. I could even end up on probation.   I'm used to working for little companies, with under 10 employees, where you can say things that real people say and not worry about all this political correctness bull shit.

And the ironic thing is, our company performs Patriot searches.  You know, the search that checks *ahem* Non-American names when they are applying for a mortgage to make sure they aren't a suspected terrorist? Sorry people, the thought is just always in the back of my head!

See what one little bad decision can do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home