Tuesday, January 24, 2006

S.T.R.E.S.S

Just yesterday, I was telling my friend at work that I am the bug in that whole "some days you're the windshield..." saying.

I suppose it's just my pessimistic nature, but lately it seems my luck has been really down.

Today's breaking news is that R has lost his wallet. He has lost his wallet containing credit cards, a bank card, his license, his insurance cards, some club membership cards, and at least 4 cards with his social security number on it. The last time he remembers having it is Sunday at the gas station.

The credit cards have been canceled and new ones ordered. New insurance cards have been ordered. I have to go today at lunch to close and reopen our bank accounts, because his wallet had the account numbers in it.

So what is a pessimistic, paranoid person to do?

Why, nothing else but think about identity theft!

What?!?

It COULD happen. It happens all the time. You've heard the horror stories on the news where peoples lives have been ruined and how they spend all their time to prove that "no I DIDN"T use my credit card for THAT. I don't even have that credit card. That's NOT ME!"

I know. Chill. Relax. I worry too much.

People lose their wallets everyday, right?

No big deal, right?

R isn't that worried.

Why do I have to be such a worrier?!? Gah!

2 Comments:

Blogger evilsciencechick said...

calm down! I was a victim of identity theft a few years ago, and it's NOT the end of the world.

First, he should print out a copy of his credit report now, and then maybe once a month for the next 6 months.

If something unusual pops up, he can call the credit company and get it taken care of right away.

If you are worried, or suspect identity theft, he can call the 3 credit agencies and put a fraud alert on his credit. that means for the next 7 years, any time he (or anyone else) tries to start a new line of credit, the company will have to verify that it is actually him doing it. (usually, this means an extra phone call in which they ask you questions like "do you have a car payment? how much is that every month" and they you swear and start digging around, because you've set up your car payments to pay automatically and you can't REMEMBER the exact amount, and then you panic because you think by hesitating and then saying "umm..hold on a sec..." that they are SO going to claim FRAUD on your ass)

it's kind of a pain, but not NEARLY as much of a pain as dealing with continuous id theft!

so...don't panic!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Anastasia said...

I will have him do so.

I am such a worry freak.

Thank you!

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home